Wed

May

2012

Ideal Protein vs Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, and Weight Watchers

There are two things that I'd like to cover in this post.

1. Why Ideal Protein works better than Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, and Weight Watchers.
  2. The Cost comparison of Ideal Protein vs the other diets.

The human body uses three tanks of fuel for energy: Glucose, Muscle, and Fats. It ALWAYS turns to the Glucose tank first. Once that tank is depleted, the body then turns to the Muscle and Fat tanks for energy. The challenge is that the body cannot recognize that we would like to keep our Muscle tank full, but deplete the Fat tank. It pulls from each of these tanks at the exact same rate.

So on diets like Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, and Weight Watchers were you are simply reducing your caloric intake, the body is shrinking at an equal proportion of muscle to fat. This is not good for two reasons:

1. You lose muscle mass which is the key driver of your metabolism.
  2. Muscle takes up much less room than fat, so you don't shrink as fast as you would on a fat targeting diet.

If you regain what you lose on a typical diet, you regain it as fat!

Have you ever noticed that if you lose weight, and then gain it back again you clothes are tighter at the same weight, and if you lose the weight again you can NEVER seem to get down into that favorite pair of jeans even if you get down to a good weight? This is because the weight you regained was all FAT which takes up so much more room than muscle.

So instead of eating a typical ‘Balanced Diet’ which only allows us to maintain our current weight or eating a “Hypocaloric Diet” like Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem or WW, where we are indeed losing lean mass, including muscle, at the same rate as fat, Ideal Protein recommends a temporary “unbalanced diet,” in which we are giving the body the protein it needs to protect muscle so that only fat is targeted.

The results are FAT LOSS. This means that you shrink faster!

Recently I hit my 30lbs. loss mark on Ideal Protein.  I was 15lbs away from my "favorite jeans weight." On a whim one night I tried them on. . .I was shocked to see that they FIT!!! That is because all of my weight loss is fat, so I am heading down in sizes much faster than I would if I lost THE SAME AMOUNT OF WEIGHT on WW, Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem.

I've done all of the above diets. I've lost weight on all of the above diets, but it was really hard. In addition, I had to exercise so much to hit my weekly weight loss goal that I didn't have time for anything else, and my knees and back were constantly bothering me.

With Ideal Protein, the weight loss comes with no rigorous exercise regimen. Now we're not telling you to become a couch potato! But you will not have to kill yourself to post consistent weekly weight losses.

3-5lbs per week for Women and 5-7lbs per week for Men.

Finally CBS did a study of weight loss protocols, the time it takes to lose weight and the cost of the diet. As you can see from the results below - Ideal Protein works out to be the least expensive diet protocol you can choose.

Cost Comparison
Cost Comparison
Tammy Benner
Tammy Benner

Tammy Benner - Weight loss since 2-15-2012 41.3lbs.

Next Posts - Ideal Protein vs Atkins, Ideal Protein vs HCG

Write a comment

Comments: 17

• #1

DebbOv (Friday, 04 May 2012 09:13)

Ideal Protein has been a fantastic way for me to lose weight. It's encouraging and exciting that the weight loss is so quick and targets fat loss and not just any weight loss. I have lost 44 lbs. in 11 weeks, 90% is fat loss. - This is the only diet that has been easy for me to stick to. Seeing such noticeable results keeps anyone motivated. I love it!

• #2

Katie Creeger (Friday, 25 May 2012 08:19)

I have been on this for a couple of weeks now and I am enjoying how much energy I have! I love seeing the weight literally melt off my "trouble" areas, and that is motivating me to continue eating healthy and to resist the snacks that I am used to having. I also want to exercise so I can get more fit! I love it and can't wait to weigh in again next week!!!

• #3

ChrisF (Saturday, 03 November 2012 11:16)

I just started IP Protocol this week after a week's worth of reduced caloric diet through the nutritionist. I quickly dropped into ketosis (fat burning mode) 2 days into the diet and have lost 12 lbs since the previous week and IP Protocol. As a man, we tend to lose between 5-7 lbs per week so goodbye fat forever! Although I don't think that my shape has changed much yet, my standard track pants kept slipping off me today during my training session. I like this programs because they promised to deal with my constant cravings for carbs and sugars, where as other programs just reduced the quantities of these 2. I want to be able to walk down a Walmart candy aisle and not feel tempted.

• #4

Debbie Rocha (Monday, 01 April 2013 14:24)

I lost 55 lbs with weight watchers and it was NOT even close to that amount per month.

• #5

Weight Watcher.. (Sunday, 21 April 2013 23:45)

I lost 90lbs with WW, and I pay $20 a month....No where NEAR $760...

• #6

ClaudiaP (Friday, 10 May 2013 11:30)

It took me 6 weeks to loose 2 pounds on weight watchers. I am a syndrom x and the carbs were too high for my insulin resistance...weight watchers estimate cost listed here is for the regular food you by...the meetings lwere useless..all they tried to do was sell their products..the coach had no medical background...anything I learned I had to research myself. My physician cannot believe my labs, cholesterol and a1c, since I have been on ideal protein.

• #7

Shelbie Carr (Thursday, 04 July 2013 17:16)

Ive been on Ideal protein for 8.5 months and Im down 127 pounds! I have done weight watchers in the past and I think its a good program to be on if you want to loose 20 pounds but it would have taken me yrs to loose 127 on weight watchers. I also think weight watchers is good for maintaining your weight. Ideal protien is by far a better "diet", its not a lifestyle though its meant to be on to loose the weight and then get off.

• #8

Crystal (Saturday, 06 July 2013 20:33)

This is the only diet that works for me.... I have tried most all of them! I love having a coach and holding myself accountable. The foods are good on Ideal Protein and with my busy schedule I do mostly shakes. I have so much more energy and finally have hope and believe I can actually achieve my goal. I wish I would have found out about this much sooner!!

• #9

Kathryn (Monday, 08 July 2013 14:55)

Im pretty sure these prices are very wrong. Jenny Criag is about $135 a week ($540 a month) and thats ONLY if you do 100% of their food. I dont know where they got these numbers from....

• #10

Susan (Tuesday, 06 August 2013 21:18)

I have tried SO many different diets in my life that I am anxious to see with the ideal protein program has to offer me. I take numerous meds and am a breast cancer survivor.....hope none of this interferes with my trying this program!

• #11

Julie Rhodes (Wednesday, 07 August 2013 12:43)

I just started ideal protein this week! I am truely a weight watchers fan!! However I wanted to see if I could loose weight a little faster with the ideal protein plan! I'm going to try it until I loose 25-30 lbs! Ill keep you posted on my progress!! I am full and content! I love the cheddar broccoli soup!i am a little worried about getting board with the food! We shall see!!

• #12

Newbie (Thursday, 23 January 2014 20:20)

I just started Ideal protein 3 days ago. I felt really sluggish today and sticking to the protocol strictly! I am 5'9" and weigh 190. Looking to lose 30 lb. I'm already nervous about what the scale and tape measure will say at my first weigh in. My fear is it will only say 1-2 lbs. i just don't want to set my expectations to high in case the results aren't what I want. Regardless.... I am 110% dedicated to this plan!!!!!

• #13

terry (Thursday, 10 July 2014 20:34)

Cost comparison is not correct and shows hyperinflation of Weight watchers. One has to wonder if other "facts" are as skewed.

• #14

Kimberly (Saturday, 12 July 2014 14:12)

I started IP Feb 3 2014 weighing 222.6. I have lost 25 lbs. The plan keeps me full and feeling great. My weight loss could have been much higher but I had a 11 day cruise vacation and a few stressors in between. My clothes do fit much better and I have energy I didn't have before. Having said that the plan DOES work and I am going to continue until I reach goal of 50 lb weight loss.

• #15

Tammy Benner (Sunday, 13 July 2014 11:27)

The numbers in this Blog Post are from the CBS Early Show. This independent news organization did a comparison of popular diet plans, basing it on the use of pre-packaged meals, and what they discovered is that some of the programs out there are deceptively expensive, especially when you factor a much slower rate of weight loss. You’d have to be on most of these programs for twice as long as you’ll be on Ideal Protein to achieve the results. Predictable, repeatable results, retention of lean muscle mass, renewed vitality, improved overall health, and the tools to maintain those results for the rest of your life for $18/lb is a BARGAIN. Or…you can funnel your money into a marketing machine with a celebrity spokesperson who will have to be replaced next year when they regain everything they lost.

• #16

Susan (Monday, 18 August 2014 22:09)

If it's fat loss vs. weight loss, I'll choose fat loss any day. I lost 12 lb. of fat on I.P. in three weeks. By the end of six weeks, my mister was saying I was looking too thin and we readjusted my goal up 10 lb. I didn't want to be skinny - just slender. I tried Jenny Craig once. It cost me over $100 per pound. Lost almost nothing. Spent two weeks at Hilton Head Health Institute and lost three pounds exercising 3 hours a day and having gourmet low calorie/low fat foods prepared for me. Ideal Protein wins, hands down.

• #17

Dee (Monday, 18 August 2014 23:43)

As a person who used to spend around $9 every morning at Starbucks, generally followed by $8-12 dollars for lunch......lots of dinners out....lots of wine, what a savings IP has actually been for me! Additionally, this protocol is teaching me some great habits that I really think I'll stick to long-term. Most notably among them, that I should take the time to pack a lunch each workday evening for the next day and, second, that I really don't need a "starch" (aka carb) at dinnertime to feel satisfied. The best part is that the weight loss has been quick and that my osteoarthritis riddled knees felt better within 3 days of starting the program ~ HUGE bonus!

Clinic Locations